Arenac

March 2, 1831 (24th county)

Arenac County (15,007), Standish (1,460)

The 1965 tan brick and stone Modern structure replaced the 1892 courthouse.  It is located on Grove Street at Downer Street.  United States Highway 23 passes two blocks to the west.  The new courthouse was renovated in 1985.  Ralph S. Gerganoff is the architect.  Veteran memorials are on the grounds.  Omer also had a courthouse dating from 1890.  Arenac County was formed on March 2, 1831 from Native American Territory as the 24th county.  The source of the county’s name is Native American meaning “a sandy place with good footing.”  The county seat name is named for founder, Johns D. Standish. 

Arenac County government consists of a sheriff and 5 Commissioners.  Three Circuit Court Judges and Two District Court Judges serve Arenac, Alcona, Iosco, and Oscoda counties and One Probate Court Judge serves Arenac County.  The county is in eastern Michigan on Lake Huron.  Flint, Michigan is south of the county.  The county center is 8.6 miles Northeast of Standish nearer Omer.  The county is surrounded clockwise by Iosco County and Canada and Huron, Tuscola, Bay, Gladwin, and Ogemaw counties. 

The area of the county is 681 square miles.  It is 46 out of 83 in the state.  It ranks 68 out of 83 in population in the state.  It has a density of 22.0 persons per square mile making it 57 out of 83 in the state.  Arenac County has 22.7% of its population in its incorporated areas.  Interstate Highway 75 goes north to south in the county from Ogemaw County to Bay County.  United States Highway 23 enters from the northeast, Iosco County, and joins Interstate Highway 75 into Bay County.  The county looks like a radar gun.  Standish is in the southern part of the county.  Standish is the county seat and the largest city.  It is 9.7% of the county population.  The county is pronounced AR-E-NAK.

Location in State and Municipalities

Au Gres

Omer

Standish

Sterling

Turner

Twining

Jerry Fager
Courthouses.co
Old Courthouse (Courthouses.co)